Join Old St.Vincent
Chapel Of Ease
About Old St. Vincent Church
Catholicism in Cape Girardeau
Catholic Social Ministry
Catholic Campus Ministry
Mass held at every Sunday at 10:00 AM
131 South Main St. in Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Fr. John Timon, A Vincentian priest, was assigned to serve the population of Perry & Cape Girardeau counties.
July 8, 1833:
Fr. Timon celebrated Mass in the first temporary church which was a warehouse of Don Louis Lorimier.
It was close to the riverfront and near to the Red House, Lorimier's home.
April 30, 1838:
Cornerstone of the first church was laid by Bishop Joseph Rosati, C.M. This stone structure distinctly resembled the Old Cathedral on the St. Louis riverfront.
First church of native stone destroyed by a violent tornado.
Within six months construction began on the present church. The stone of the original church was used for the new foundation. The church was designed by a noted Missouri architect, Thomas Warying Walsh. The church is in the style of Renaissance architecture in which architects refer to the style of the church as English Gothic Revival.
A spire of undetermined height was erected on the occasion of the golden jubilee.
The spire was struck by lightning.
Lightning again strikes the spires and it was destroyed by fire. The present steeple was constructed in 1912.
The vestibule at the front entrance was added sometime after 1900. The shape of the church is cruciform; shape of a cross. There are nine arches intertwined in the choir loft. Architects' speculation is that the arches were designed to support the tall spire in the original design. Pews show evidence of originally having gates (doors) as well a partitions. There was a pedestal which gave evidence of a pulpit near the front of the church.
Old St. Vincent Church was declared a Chapel of Ease. Restoration begins. It has remained a place of worship since Father Timon came to this area in 1833.
Old St. Vincent Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Exterior and interior restoration completed.
First wedding held at Old St. Vincents in over 30 years. Weddings will now be held on a regular basis.
Exterior of the Church was resealed.
Old St. Vincent Church continues to serve the Cape Girardeau community as a Religious & Cultural Center.
Mass held every Sunday at 10:00 AM
Museum And Tours
The Church is opened for tours Tuesday through Sunday from Noon until 4:00 P.M from mid-May until Labor Day. Tours are also available by appointment.
Weddings are now being held at Old St.Vincent's Church. Contact Donna at 573-335-9347 for more information.
Copyright © 2014 Old St.Vincent's Church. All Rights Reserved.